fot

RE: TR6 Axle Mod

To: "'Peter Vucinic'" <vucinic@b140.aone.net.au>,
Subject: RE: TR6 Axle Mod
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:19:46 -0700
I agree completely that the bearing preload is important, but it's equally
impotent now, and it's not done with any accuracy. The current situation
is that the axle shoulders space the bearings and the hub nut torque sets
the load both on the inner and outer races. Common practice, but not
better (other than spacers being a more fussy method) that takes the shear
load (or at least part of it) off the axle.

I currently use a two pound residual pressure--it helps a little.