fot

RE: Peyote Rocks!!

To: "'Charly Mitchel'" <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>,
Subject: RE: Peyote Rocks!!
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 11:43:21 -0700
103 degrees for tire temp isn't very hot, I wouldn't worry about that, but
you'll have a better time on racing tires. I really like the Hoosiers, but
the new Dunlops sound good too.

Everyone gets loose in 3A/B. Peyote slides sideways all the way through
it. That's normal.

You'll have to make your own screen, but it's easy. Lexan is a good
choice. Either use a very thin piece and just bend it with the bottom
attachments, or make a mold from cardboard and wood, heat the lexan up in
an oven and lay it on.

When I was thinking about beefing up Peyote's windscreen I found this
link: http://www.roddingroundtable.com/dcforum/DCForumID1/2686.html#1
that covers bending windshields extensively. I stuck a small piece of
lexan in our oven and formed it over a small mold as an experiment. You
can actually make fairly complex shapes just with a single sided mold and
some rounded wood sticks to push and prod the draped plastic. The plastic
sheds heat slowly, so you can heat a big piece to 300 degrees or so with a
heat gun. I have a friend who has a pizza place who offered to heat a
windshield for me. Never did it, but I'm sure I could make it work--it'd
probably have cornmeal embedded in the "crust" side though.

One very odd thing about working lexan is that sanding it with a
paper-backed belt can build up a heck of a static charge on it. I nearly
jumped out of my shoes last time I was edge polishing a big piece on a
wood bench and it zapped me.