fot

Shock Question

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Shock Question
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 17:04:33 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

This is one for the lever shock crowd...

Toward the end of last season, my TR6 started having problems with
tire-shake under heavy acceleration. I pulled the rear suspension apart to
check everything, and back in December I found the left rear shock to have
very little resistance in "compression", but normal resistance in
"rebound".

I assumed that the shock must have a blown seal and then promptly moved on
to another project. Bear with me, this is my "style".

At any rate, fast forward to this morning and a more "scientific" test of
the offending shock. I put the shock in a vise and proceeded to operate
the lever through the entire range (from 90 degrees horizontal to
vertical). IT WORKED JUST FINE! Actually, the resistance feels even
through the range, but at the limits of compression, there is a tiny bit
of resistance felt, but it's really minor.

This led me to think that maybe what I was seeing last was more like an
"air bubble" than a blown seal.

If it is an air bubble, I have no idea how to bleed the thing.

So, I would be very thankful if anyone can provide some insight into
Armstrong lever shock "bleeding".

I'd also like to know what folks are using for shock fluid on thier race
cars (e.g. real shock oil or 30 wt motor oil or whatever).

Last, if you've used rebuilt shocks from Apple Hydraulic, I'd be
interested to know what sort of luck you've had with them (vis-a-vis how
often you wind up rebuilding them...

I've put off converting to coil-overs only to keep the car "real vintage",
but I'm now having second thoughts about that plan. If I do convert to
coil-overs, it'll be after this season is in the books, so I need to try
to figure out something now.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |