fot

FOT Autocross @ MidOhio 2002 - Discussion

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: FOT Autocross @ MidOhio 2002 - Discussion
From: EISANDIEGO@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 19:27:53 EDT
Good Evening

    My previous comments about the autocross at MidOhio was premised in part
on my misunderstanding that VTR was going to hold its national convention in
conjunction with the MidOhio 2002 race. I now also understand why it would be
extremely difficult for VTR to hold a national convention near the MidOhio
race track.

    The impression that I was left with from the earlier FOT interest surveys
was that autocrossers would like to have a similar opportunity to get
together as being presented to us by the MidOhio Races. I was also left with
the impression that seat time would make a big differences in how many FOT
autocrosser - which may out number FOT racers - come to MidOhio. Is my
impression correct?

    I started with performance driving with Porsches. the typical event is
structure so for the first half morning, experienced drivers take to the
track while novices are orientated. One orinetation is done, the novices are
given instructors from among the experienced drivers. They go through hard
braking, chicane, and apex exercises for the remainder of the morning.

    In the afternoon, there is another orientation session for novices while
the experience drivers practice on the full course. After the orinetation,
groups of novices are lead through the course by the experienced drivers. The
final couple of hours are timed events.

    The second morning is two practice on a new course. There are then three
sessions in which the drivers go through the course three times. This is
repeated two more times in the afternoon. They we had a party and gave out
certificates to those novices that finished the autocross. The novice program
was very successful from the standpoint of bringing more Porsche people in
autocrossing and some of us went on to racing.

    Our survey did not really include a description of what a national FOT
autocross. I think it would be healthy to have some dialog now as to what
people want in an autocross event rather than presume that a 1/2 day session
will sffice. I just think that expecting people to transport an autocross car
for a 1/2 day event is unrealistic.

    I now feel that I have fufilled my obligations to those of you who sent
me emails about autocrossing in the recent survey. I understand that Bob land
has agreed to chair this effort. What he can do will depend on the support he
gets from the FOT autocrossers.

    Once again, let me say thanks to all of you that completed the survey. I
sincerely hope the times comes when VTR and FOT can coordinate things so that
a full venue of autocross, road racing, and car show can happen together.
Speaking of that, how is the regional event in Colorado about the time of the
VTR event shaping up?

    For those of you wondering, I am still working on getting transport
arrangement to ButtonWillow. The prospect is 50/50.

Cary