fot

Non tech - English History

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Non tech - English History
From: "P Richardson" <paul-richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 12:17:40 -0000
It was at the Battle of Agincourt that Sir Gawaine of Warwick was mortally
wounded and taken to the nearby castle of the Conte de Beaulieu where he was
placed in the main bedroom and his wounds were tended.

He raised his head from the pillow and as he glanced through a small slit
window on the other side of the room he noticed a most beautiful garden. He
raised himself and asked those at his bedside to sit him up so he could see
the garden better. Weak and near to death he was overcome by the beauty of the
garden - as the open fields, tall trees and the magical perfume of the garden
flowers reminded him of England. He said:-

"Passeth me my trusty longbow made of Yew, and an arrow straight and true.
 Then taketh me to yon window where I can see the view."

Whist stumbling in the arms of those supporting him, he shuffled to the
window. As his lifeblood drained away Sir Gawaine gripped his bow, strung the
arrow and whilst pointing it out of the window said, " Wherevereth this arrow
falleth bury me - that I might rest in a place that remindeth me of my dear
England."

He summoned all the strength he had left, drew his bow and just before he
loosed the arrow he toppled backwards falling dead on the floor.

- They buried him on top of the wardrobe.