fot

Re: Touring school - was Re: What Is Th...

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Touring school - was Re: What Is Th...
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 12:17:57 -0700 (MST)
Gee, touring the track at Mead?  A few folks on this list no doubt remember
100 AYI from the 1990 Boulder VTR meet.

At our IVR events, I limit the cars on track to 3 or 4 per toruing session.
With a 1 mile track, and 4 cars running laps around 60 seconds, this gives
them 15 seconds if their relative speeds are quite close, in practice it
varies more like 5 to 25 seconds gap between any two vehicles.  Those who've
been out before we have a good idea of their average lap times, and can group
accordingly.  Trouble comes when we get some newbie in a Cobra replica or
pony car or something and starts out with 70 second laps, and is turning 55
second laps at the end of the 15 minute session.

Geez, rambling on again, all I was going to say was that reducing the cars
on track for any given touring session can make it a more enjoyable experience
all around, though it does take longer to run multiple groups.  But a dozen
drivers running 15 minute touring sessions can take just over an hour, if
there is little down time between groups.  At our Wendover events, the track
is often idle for an hour or two at a time, while the handful of entrants
rest and regroup!  If you want more seat time than you can handle, have I
got some events for you!

Gee, I want to go racing, staying home sick is no fun.

mjb.