fot

From Rover to Triumph

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: From Rover to Triumph
From: "Paul Richardson" <Paul-Richardson@cyberware.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2000 08:42:46 -0000
Hi Gang

It really is about time  motor manufacturers realized that their problem
-especially Rover - is one of style. They've got to get rid of this CAD
programmed design nonsense and retrain themselves in the art of
appreciating and producing a subtle curve. 'Style' is not about producing a
shape within the limits of  airflow/fuel consumption and 'how cheap can we
build it' calculations - it's about wrapping up the finest engineering with
'tasteful flamboyance'.

I'm quite convinced that all the large motor manufacturers are all on a
downward slide. They're saturating world markets with clinical, dull
designs and if company's like BMW believe that just swapping a name badge
on the front of a car - without a major style revolution etc - will cure
the problem they must be in cloud cuckoo land. - The public is not quite as
stupid as the marketing and PR men believe.

Another major factor in Britain at the moment is that we can buy new cars
in mainland Europe at a retail price one third less than we have to pay in
Britain.
This includes top of the range Range Rovers etc. I call that taking the
piss?

Paul