fot

RE: VTR 2000 Convention Press Release

To: Bob Lang <LANG@isis.mit.edu>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: VTR 2000 Convention Press Release
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:51:30 -0800
Actually, if you need to borrow a windsurfer while you're in Portland, I
have a reasonable array. Since I tore my rotator cuffs playing rollerblade
hockey they have been gathering dust. I've been working on the shoulder
strength (and the weight I gained when I couldn't do much besides sit around
and eat) and I'll probably be ready to sail again this spring.

Besides the Gorge there is also Manzanita, on the Oregon coast, which has
ocean windsurfing comparable to Maui (without the coral cuts and the instant
fin removal service provide by your friendly Hawaiian reefs), though the
water is a damn sight colder. I have a beach house in Manzanita (I bought it
fifteen years ago for windsurfing) with windsurfers, a sand surfer (picture
a big skateboard with small bicycle wheels and a mast base on the nose),
surfboards, bicycles and a boat.

My house in Portland is 20 minutes from PIR, with a 2000 sq ft shop under
the house for those last minute repairs, and a good array of toys. I have a
motocross track in the back yard that runs up the hill behind the sport
court. There are a half-dozen dirt bikes to go with it. I plan to throw at
least one monster party and several smaller ones along with the race events.
Plenty of opportunity to get hurt.

I think I can guarantee any FOT member who makes the trek a very interesting
visit, beyond just the Triumph events.

[Yes, I'm a tad behind in forwarding mail sent to the list in HTML.  mjb]