fot

Jack & Joe in Las Vegas

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Jack & Joe in Las Vegas
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:06:30 -0600
The Jack and Joe Western Tour from Iowa to Las Vegas and back is history
and we're home with car, wallets, and persons intact. A few
observations:

Mordy, Paul, Mark, Frank, and others are a nice bunch of guys to hang
out with, and standing around on the blacktop for three days talking
nothing but cars is still fun....

The AMICI TRIUMPHI banner has now been flown west of the Mississippi,
from the top of Mordy's trailer, which is a neat place to watch the
races.....

Putting five guys in my BMW 4-door for the touring session, and trying
to impress them, will earn you a request from the gentlemanly steward to
"please slow down, and please stop passing other cars" and a refusal of
the owner of the following TR6 to speak to me after the session.....at
least he was trying to keep up....

When the wind blows in Las Vegas, it REALLY  blows....

The Las Vegas Speedway borders on stupendous -- seven separate racing
venues on one site -- and you can rent a four-lap ride in a two
passenger CART racer for $200..we did not, what with our budget and
all....

I hate to say it, but the biggest thrill of the weekend was when one of
the Thunderbird acrobatic team from nearby Nellis Air Force Base buzzed
the racetrack at about 1000 feet, pulled up into a climb, and lit the
afterburner.....we could look right into the tail of that baby at the
orange inferno.....

VARA does a very intelligent job of establishing racing groups. They do
it by grouping together cars by the old SCCA classes rather than by year
and displacement. This eliminates such problems as pre-1963 corvettes
running in the same group with Sprites and Triumphs. I hesitate to
suggest this to other sanctioning groups, not wishing to once more be
requested to "sit down and shut up".

Having a race weekend with no ex-NASCAR cars and no Can Am cars gives
more track time to everybody else. We missed the vertical car class,
though, and would prefer to see that part of our racing heritage at
every event.

Between us, we spent $1.25 on the slots and quit because we didn't win
anything....

Joe doesn't fart nearly as much as reputed, but makes up for it with the
volume of his snoring.....

3804 miles in a BMW sedan at 80 - 90 mph is a really nice way to travel

Oklahoma state police respond well to the question, "Officer, do you
give senior citizen discounts?"

Spending 24 hours a day for seven days with your best friend, and
emerging with friendship intact, is a joy to be thankful
for..........and Thanks to everyone who helped us have a good time!

--
uncle jack and joe
(Mordy and Paul wannabees)