fot

Vintage Racing

To: "Greg Solow" <Gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Subject: Vintage Racing
From: Curt&Nancy <robinfood@robinfood.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 01:58:40 -0400
Greg,
        You will be delighted to recall that the VSCCA is of a similar mind
as to vintage racing with the cars limited to pre 1960 trim. I run a TR-3
engine in my funky 1959 Morgan. As of 1959, this is the largest engine
avialable from Morgan. Fortunately, this sometimes enables me to compete in
under two liter races! I do very well against MG-A's. For the most part I
do this to keep from competing against the extremely tricked-out Morgans
(and similar Triumphs) which are well over 2 liters with $10,000 engines. I
do feel that improvements as to safety and reliability should be permitted
so I have installed roll bar, collapsible steering column (TR-7), low oil
pressure cut-off, electric fuel pump and Mallory ignition;  and I run the
dics brakes introduced by Morgan in 1959. All the body panels are steel and
mud. Cooling is a problem but I seem to have this in tenuous control with a
recorred radiator and circulation from out of the rear of the block (the
heater outlet) back to the top of the radiator. In all this car can compete
against most of similar vintage and I assure you that I have as much fun as
anyone else on the track for a fraction of the money.
        Thanks for your thoughts and comments on "Vintage racing".
curt
PS: I qualified at Lime Rock two weeks ago at 1:11, 9th in my class and
lower than the other "expensive" Morgans in the other classes.
Unfortunately, rain did me in as my car quit when I worked up to 5th place.

Wm. Curtis Conner                       Home:  413 367-2182  curt@robinfood.org
Box 175, 34 Taylor Hill Rd.
Montague, MA 01351
        Univ. Massachusetts      Phone: 413 545-0316  wconner@ecs.umass.edu
        Amherst, MA 01003 USA   FAX:   413 545-1647