fot

Re: Mid-Ohio

To: "fot" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mid-Ohio
From: "mordy" <mordyd@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:14:28 -0500
Paul Smock and I had a wonderfull time.  It is a long tow but, WELL worth
the effort.

I must say that towing two cars and spares (about 12,000 lb gross) took some
preparation to ensure the best possible outcome (no flats, axle, brake
problems...).  I'm pleased to report that we weathered the tow without any
problems  (5,600miles).

This TR/MG event is by far the biggest I have been to.  It would have been
helpful to have a Wednesday and Thursday open practice session (akin to Road
America at Elkhart).  It would also have been usefull to have the enduro
after the flag races.  Very small complaints...

Registration was somewhat painfull and probably needlessly.  I would send
the medical cards with the entry for pre-registration.  Basically, all the
paper work should be done prior to the window line-up.  However waiting for
1.2 hrs in line did give me an oppurtunity to talk to other racers nearby
and compare notes....

The gridding was done well.  I would make only one rec.give a count down at
Five mins with one min. increments.  Print a  # sign on a large card and
raise it as you tick the min's down.  A good visual.

Another comment about an event like this.  Standard or special track flag
situations should be discussed at the drivers meeting.  I mean Red
flag/emergency notice... it was not made clear.  When many people come from
different clubs standard flags are simple but, each club has rules and flag
nuances that should be made clear.

Drive arounds would also be helpfull.....I've been to Sears, Laguna,
Elkhart, PIR, and others and this is the first track were drive arounds were
not done...

The FOT and MG group have a great show and should make any track/facility
happy to engage this group.  It is a winner for all.  If negotiations are
underway for a similar event next year make it easier for others from this
(West) coast to make the show.  Some of us can afford the 14 days off from
work and pay the entry/gas and other fees to make the party -some can't.
Somehow. if part or all of the entry fee could be waved (subsidized) by the
club or  track this would go a long way to get other racers to show.  Russ
Moore and I talked about this for some time while at the track.....

This is a tough track but  has a SUBSTANTIAL  fun factor.  Can't wait to go
back and do it again.

Mordy