fot

Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

To: kaskas@earthlink.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 16:14:55 EST
In a message dated 3/20/99 8:56:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kaskas@earthlink.net writes:

<<
 About the gearbox casing. The early cases did NOT have heavy ribs along the
left
 side. The later parts DID have very heavy ( wide ) ribs running along the
side. If
 you can find the later heavy ribbed type you have a winner. We had incredible
 trouble with the early types breaking. We finished a couple races with about
an 1"
 gap between the bellhousing and the gearbox case itself and oil leaking from
 everwhere.. To help this until the new parts arrived the factory installed a
thing
 we called the "Gong" under the rear portion of the early types to help with
the
 vibration problems. If you have one with the "Gong" don't just throw it away
put
 that darn thing on it does help.)  This "gong" is a weight about 3" in
diamter
 and  fitted under  the gearbox. Probably everyone knows this, but it just
came to
 mind.   Kas Kastner

Kas-

Figured that darn thing had to be there for some reason...not just to slow the
car down...

I too have had more than a few "leaking" transmissions due to that problem and
ended up welding my own stiffening ribs to the case. That seemed to work well
(hint...if anyone does this, weld the parts on with the trans bolted solidly
to an engine to decrease any warpage from the welding). In this case, it is a
late updated trans, but I think the cracking was due to an impact.

Let the masochism continue...
      Nick in Nor Cal