fot

Re: Potential Wallet Danger...

To: Malaboge@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: Potential Wallet Danger...
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 12:58:29 -0400 ()
On Fri, 3 Jul 1998 Malaboge@aol.com wrote:

> Well it's one of those infamous "found in a barn stories"...
> TR4 "race car"...a very "period" car in that it has all the stuff on it
> that you could order from the Triumph Competition Department circa
> 1965...rear end is welded solid...roll bar is a bolt in homemade unit
> that wouldn't get past any of today's tech guys...

Whoa. Deja vu. This sounds like a spiritual big brother to the Hardly Boys
RaceSpit 4, a '64 Spitfire 4 (with Mk.2 bonnet and other bits) that
remains to this day a "very 'period' car". I don't have any AR
Silverstones for it, but otherwise one could pretty much check off most of
the "V" parts list as being present on the car.

> As a last appeal, I turn to my brethren to help me on this one. All
> opinions and free advice accepted, not only for "the big question",
> but also as to what a). You would pay for this car, and b). What a
> sane and rational person would pay for it !

Good thing it's on the left coast and I'm on the right coast, or.... ;-)
Maybe it's worth $1000? $1500? And what does one DO with such a car? In
the case of my Spit, the period modifications still make for a decently
safe and competitive Solo II car, but I doubt I'd get past tech for an
SCCA regional driver's school. With a TR4A, I don't know how competitive
such a car would be even in Solo events nowadays, certainly it would need
serious upgrading for almost any track venue (thereby losing much of the
car's "charm"), but on the other hand it might or might not make for all
that pleasant a street car?

To me and possibly a very few other folks, it sounds like it might be a
great "textbook" example of how it used to be, much like my Spit is. But
who else would appreciate that?

Like I said, I'm glad it's there and I'm here, or it might well be sold by
now. ;-)

--Andy