Re: [Roadsters] Everyone on summer vacation?

To: Paul Kort <paulsdatsunstuff@gmail.com>, John F Sandhoff <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Everyone on summer vacation?
From: Gary and Cindy Ault <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 18:47:37 -0700
Cc: Roadster Stuff <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Paul,

No crack(s) around the fill plug opening?

To the best of my knowledge,
a helicoil is wound like a spring and is not intended to seal -- just hold.  I
could see oil being wicked past the helicoil like a speedo cable.  Teflon tape
may not cut it, as it would only seal the threads, not the spiral.  Have you
tried working so good old fashioned, non-hardening gasket sealer into the
helicoil?  Like you would a bearing race?  Have you asked what it would cost
to weld up the hole part way and cut new threads?  Brazing material might
work.

Just random thoughts before I fix my first cocktail of the evening.
 Good luck.

Gary