Re: [Roadsters] Brake pedal soft

To: Steve Jacobson <jake7140@yahoo.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Brake pedal soft
From: Tim <tputland@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 6:04:20 -0700
Thanks for the suggestions all. Especially the "quick and easy" ones. Those are
the kinds of advice I need: the quickly checked and verified and then either
fixed or discarded as being ok.

I had forgotten about adjusting the rears--mush brain strikes again. And I was
not able to move the rear adjuster on one wheel so I did the PB Blaster thing
to it. Hopefully today I can move it as this is what I am betting is the issue.
(the rubber hoses are all ok.) Then I will soak the other side--it was getting
too late in the day yesterday to jack the other side up (again) and then remove
the wheel (again).

What do people use on the rear adjuster (besides a crescent wrench)? I do not
want to round the corners.

I don't think it is the rotors; wouldn't I feel the warp/out of round, in the
pedal? I know I have felt bad rotors in a couple of our fleet cars at work.

thanks again all, very much!

Tim

---- Steve Jacobson <jake7140@yahoo.com> wrote:

=============
Tim,
Sounds like it could be rotor runout.  If the rotors "wobble" they will push
the pistons back into the caliper too far, then you have to push twice; once
to get them back in range or touching a bit, once to do the real braking. In
between of course they can lget pushed back in a little.

This assuming that you can sit in the garage and mash the pedal and hold it
for a time without it going down.  It should be a firm pedal pretty quickly.
In other words, not a lot of travel once the pads get to the rotor. If not,
could be more air in their yet compressing easier than the fluid.

Steve

Steve's Racing web site

  www.NoNameRacing.com

Elkhart Lake Racing & Sipping Society