Re: [Roadsters] a few questions with my start up (please help)

To: toolmansj2@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] a few questions with my start up (please help)
From: "gregs672liter@netzero.net" <gregs672liter@netzero.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 03:44:19 GMT
Have you checked the balance on the carbs using a good meter?  These things
CANNOT be done by ear.  That may also identify a vac leak that disappears as
the engine revs up.  Also try spraying carb cleaner around the intake gasket
and other places.  Does the vac advance work on the dizzy?  Leaking diaphram
maybe?  You could plug the hose and see how it idles or if it will idle down
now.  Is it REALLY only rough at low rpms, or can you hear a miss in the
exhaust at higher rpms if you listen next to it... might suggest a bad plug or
plug wire that seems to smooth out but is still there, hiding in a faster
running engine but shows up as a slight "pop, pop".
Greg Burrows

-- toolmansj2@comcast.net wrote:
1. All lights work except headlights any thing I can look for tried 2 relays
same result 1 of the 3 wires are hot to the headlights.
2.Leaky oil hose from block to distributor has any one cut out the center hose
and clamped a new center section in? New seems too expensive.
3.Then there is the idle I have the dwell set at 52  points gapped at about
.018 and timing at 17degrees and cant get the engine to idle any lower than
about 1000 rpm without roughness. The car holds a steady dwell while changing
idle rpms timing seems to hold steady, but when I lower the idle speed it just
wont run smooth. any clues.

About my engine fresh rebuild on a u20, carbs were done by Kieth Williams
block was bored 060 over reground A cam reground rockers new valves springs
and seats and guides. New crank bearings seals pistons pins and rings

NOW I JUST WANT TO DRIVE IT I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THIS CAR FOR ABOUT 2
YEARS...
--
1969 2000 U20
2007 Titan 4x4

http://www.team.net/archive

Compete with the big boys.  Click here to find products to benefit your
business.
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2241/fc/Ioyw6i4t3HXPLhoDE1u2xAJZ6vMcLb
uhpYjcho9qGDHDsj2EPmqI2i/