Re: [Roadsters] what has happened???

To: "'Oliver'" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] what has happened???
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 12:01:14 +0930
"tonight i checked the compression.  0, 0, 90, 120
yeah.  checked it twice.
so, what do you suggest?  i know that if i put oil in the cylinder, that
will pinpoint it being rings.  but is that likely?  someone suggested head
gasket.  i checked the oil, and at least the dipstick oil is still honey
colored and nice.
anyone want to guide me on the next steps?
Thanks"

It might just be tight valve clearances
Back off the adjusters and repeat the compression test, which by the way,
should be performed on an engine at operating temperature and with the
throttle butterfly/slides wide open for maximum air intake
Crank the engine with all spark plugs out until the reading stabilises,
usually 3 or 4 cycles on the gauge.
An oil squirt will assist in sealing the rings but I wouldn't think they
would be an issue on such a fresh engine.