Re: [Roadsters] OIl Filter Tubes

To: "'jim williams'" <sportsix63@yahoo.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] OIl Filter Tubes
From: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 11:09:55 +0930
1 "Are the drain back tubes needed?"
If you are using the original cartridge type filter, my answer is YES.
Without that tube the filter element will drain all its' oil on shutdown.
On startup the pump has to replenish that oil before the engine oil gallery
sees any.

2 "If the filter has one is that good enough?"
Spin-on filters can come equipped with an anti-drain back valve.
It does the same thing as the drain back tube BUT it is part of the spin-on
filter whereas the tube in 1 is a separate part to the cartridge filter.

3 "Or should the tube be left in place and source a proper length filter?"
>From that I assume you wish to retain the cartridge type filter but are
having difficulty getting the right length.
My advice is to retain the tube and the correct length filter.

Further to all this, there are a couple more parts that the cartridge filter
MUST have for it to work correctly.
Between the filter element and the outside casing, you need to have P/N 5,
6, 7, and 8.
5..SPRING-set, element
6..RETAINER-element
7.."O" RING-retainer
8..GASKET-Filter body top.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b8db31b3127ccea837b1ca88f900000025100Aa
uGjFq2bt2KA
Without 5,6 and 7, there is no way the filter actually works as intended.
The oil path is applied to both the inner and outer surfaces at the same
time, therefore totally ineffective!
Without 8, the cannister will leak.

Checked by AVG.
12:38 PM