Re: [Roadsters] 5-spd rebuild, 5th gear neutral...[update]

To: <todd.osborn@sbcglobal.net>, "'Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net'"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 5-spd rebuild, 5th gear neutral...[update]
From: The Ken Pearce <ken__pearce@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:36:27 -0800
Todd,

THANKS for the detailed explanation.  A kind soul finally sent me a picture of
a welded 5th gear and it all made sense after seeing it.   I'll post a picture
of mine welded as soon as I get it done to benefit the next person seeking
"the fix".

What I didn't understand was that the 5th gear on the mainshaft is actually
two main parts, one pressed into the other.  I can't make mine slip by hand,
nor could I use my gear puller to separate the two pieces (didn't want to risk
breaking the teeth).

Again, I'll post a followup after I get mine welded, the tranny reassembled
and have confirmed that I once again can drive in 5th gear.

Cheers,

Ken Pearce
Bellingham, WA
68-2000