[Roadsters] Elk encounter

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Roadsters] Elk encounter
From: "Richard Brown" <reblues@reblues.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 16:15:14 -0500
Long narrative.

Thank you all for the offers.  I am not sure what I will do with the car.  I
kind of like the looks without a windshield.  May just remove the side
windows, make a windscreen and drive it. I have plenty of spares, except for a
windshield frame.

I took the first shake down drive in a 69 roadster I have been working on.
Should be on the road with it tomorrow.  Not as shiny but will keep the smile
on my face.

I was doing around 70 when I hit the elk.  A full size white pickup was coming
up behind to pass. I checked on him in the mirrors, looked forward and there
was the elk.   He hit his brakes and skidded to a stop about 10 feet from me.
The driver said the elk was just getting up when he grazed it with his bumper.
After things settled down, while waiting for the flat bed, we borrowed the
Highway Patrols big light and search up and down both sides of the road.  No
elk, no blood. Some hair on the fence but that could have been from anytime..
Score: Elk 1, Roadster 0.  Three or four other cars stopped and looked for it
as well.  Sorry folks, no elk roast this trip.

 I can almost hear the elk telling her story. "I was out for a moon light walk
when this little white beast came flying along and tripped me up. Tore out
some hair and scratch my back.  I was getting up when it's Poppa came along
and hit me again.  Figured I'd better hightail it outta there before the whole
family showed up!"

It was fortunate that my wife had stayed in Az with family while I went to
SLC.  The elks shoulders went into the passengers side and would have crushed
her.  Also lucky it was a cow and not a bull.  A set of antlers in the car
would have not been pretty!  My wife's stepdad, Harvey, was up in the area elk
hunting at the time.  Around 2am I call my wife and ask if Harvey had gotten
an elk.  When she said no I told her I had.  She wasn't amused.

I am very lucky.  After getting stopped and pulled off the road, I climbed out
of the car, gave thanks and did a little jig of joy to be alive.  I called
AAA, who called the tow truck and gave me the number for a motel in Showlow..
I called the motel and made a reservation. I then called 911.  Told them what
had happened and that I didn't need any help.  After the other driver saw me
get out all bloody and doing a dance, he called the paramedics and Highway
Patrol.  Must have thought I had suffered brain damage.  The paramedics came
out and in the 18deg cold made me take off my leather coat, windbreaker, and
two flannel shirts so they could take my blood pressure!  Had to sign papers
saying I refused a ride to the hospital.

I rode into Showlow with the tow truck driver.  We unloaded the car in the
motel parking lot.  The next day my brother-in-law came up and hauled me the 3
hours back to where we were staying.

I think the size of the roadster is what saved me.  If I had hit that elk with
a larger car I would have slammed into the body.  That would be like hitting
an 600lb boulder at 70mph.  As it was I just took the legs out and it 'mostly'
flew over the car.

Thankful to still be here!
Richard