Re: [Roadsters] Evil-L - What to do?

To: " Datsun-Roadsters@Autox. Team. Net"
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Evil-L - What to do?
From: "dave" <daveandlindab@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 23:12:32 -0500
Great that you got it fixed, the gasket was what I was betting on.

As far as the "L",
1. You could gently bend it back, but if there is any chance of metal
fatigue or cracking, I would cut it off
2. If you cut it, I would pack the immediate area with oily rags to catch
the chips, a cut off wheel may make less chips than a saw.
3. If it really looks OK where it is, leave it

BTW, do you have the oil tube in the oil filter?  If not, go to the local
Nissan, order part # 15214-W1100, less than $5.oo.  It's going to be time
for an oil change soon.

Everyone,

Thanks for helping me trouble shoot my U20 death-rattle. Someone, I'm not
naming names, put in the tensioner gasket upside down, completely blocking
the oil hole.

Fortunately I caught the problem before the rattling chain tore off the
evil-l. But not before it took some chunks of metal out of it and bent it
about 30-degrees from 12 o'clock.  Now the question, what to do?

Do I:

1) Bend old evil back into place.
2) Saw it off.
3) Buy a new one.
4) Assume that now that I've fixed my chain tension problem that the bracket
will stay where it is.

Nathaniel Leeds
U20 - '69