Re: OT: Electric roadsters

To: Andy Cost <andycost@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: OT: Electric roadsters
From: RacerY@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 00:23:55 +0000
Yup.
Electricity has to come from somewhere, and electric cars can't go 200 miles on
a charge.  Not a perfect answer at all.  But electric plants TEND to pollute
less than the average roadster.  And they are easier to make clean- clean up
the 50 worst plants, and you've made a BIG dent in overall pollution...

And around here, if you charge at night, you use hydropower, since there's more
than is needed after 11 pm.

And my commute is 12 miles, total.

And an electric car uses less than 1/3 the energy of a piston- engined car- 1/3
of your gas goes out the radiator as heat, and most electric cars are pitifully
underpowered!  Plus, at a stop, they emit nothing.

I started trying to convert a roadster to electric (I had a spare...)
but there isn't much room, and the roadster is terribly space- inefficient.

I got stalled on the project, but at one point, I'd figured that I could get a
BMW 2002 (much more battery- shaped and electric- drive friendly for those of
us without a machine shop)  to go 60 miles between charges.

I went racing instead- I must hate the environment!  But I still want an
electric car for the commuter- style driving that I do...

and save the roadster for the longer trips...

Toby
From: Andy Cost <andycost@earthlink.net>