Re: Odysessy PC925L

To: Dan Zubkoff <zubkoff@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Odysessy PC925L
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 09:07:45 -0500
I don't have the beginning of this thread, so I will jump in at this
point. It is not in response to Dan's post.

In the past I used West Coast Battery Miata batteries with initial good,
and long term bad results and was wondering if anyone has used these
Odesessy batteries in the engine compartment.

The Miata batteries are intended to be mounted in the trunk, away from
engine heat. I installed one in the normal battery location in my 67.5
1600. My main reason was to get a smaller battery that would allow
easier access to that side of the engine. I loved the battery. It worked
fine and gave access. All that changed about 11 months later when it
would not hold a charge. A call to the manufacturer, where I bought the
battery, got me a replacement, no charge. I told them where I had the
battery and they didn't think it caused the failure. 2nd battery did
better, I got about 15 months out of it before it died. I did not call
them back again because I still think the engine compartment heat is
what caused them to die. The end of the battery nearest the front of the
car on both batteries started out flat, and by the time the battery
failed had bowed in about 1/4". I assume this did some internal damage
to the battery.

I will soon be in the market for a new battery and, from the information
I have seen on the Odesessy battery, am considering getting one, but
wonder how will it will hold up to the heat. I think most tuners
relocate their batteries out of the engine compartment. Has anyone on
the list used one of these batteries for extended periods in high
temperature environments?

Peace,
Pat

--
-- Support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --