Re:

To: banshee16@starband.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:
From: Bspark47@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 10:46:01 EDT
It's been a few years back, but I had this exact thing happen to me (assuming
I'm reading your description correctly)

I was changing plugs in a Type 4 engine in a Volkswagen Bus, and the #3 plug
snapped off just as you describe...plink...left the threads and the side
electrode in the head while the insulator, hex, and center electrode came out
with
the spark pug socket. This was, as you now know, an OHMYGOD moment....figured
I'd have to drop the engine to even get AT the plug. Those familliar with
horizontally-opposed engines will understand about this.... So, after resigning
myself to the idea that I might well need to pull the engine (but harboring
hope
that I would think of a magic bullet), I continued on with the plug changing.
Next plug, #1 this time, snapped clean off, just like #3!

I should explain that these broke with almost no effort, and yes, I do use
anti-sieze on the threads when I install plugs....these came from a bad batch
of
plugs, IMO.

So now I've got TWO broken plugs in the same engine, both at the relatively
inaccessible front of the engine compartment, and I'm sitting on a stool,
staring at the engine, thinking to myself, "How could this possibly be worse?".
As
if to provide an answer to that question, a crow in the tree overhead picked
that exact moment to crap on my arm. I've hated crows and distrusted NGK spark
plugs ever since, but I still have the Bus.

So what did I learn? I learned that the right size (large) spiral easy-out
would turn out the broken-off bits of spark plug threads with no effort and
with
no damage to the cylinder heads. Maybe I was lucky. Ok, maybe I was lucky
twice. Maybe after the incident with the crow, I had some luck coming. You
know...sort of a balance/karma thing. But it worked. Twice. I do not argue with
success and I have great respect for Luck.

I learned to avoid NGK plugs for the longest time, but came back to them
after a while and have not had a similar problem since. Coulda been a batch
problem, or maybe I just didn't hold my mouth right, but I never heard of it
again,
till now.

I learned to change plugs inside the garage, and not outside where the crows
can get you in the crosshairs.

Finally, I learned not to ask how things could be worse. The Fates have a
nasty sense of humor.

HTH

Bill
70