Hot Ignition / Electrical short

To: Datsun Roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hot Ignition / Electrical short
From: Dave Corbitt <DCorbitt77@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 17:21:13 -0400
I drove my '69 2000 to Pep Boys this afternoon looking for some tools
and when I went back to the car to start it up, the Ammeter pinned to
the - side and smoke started pouring out of the ignition switch area.
I immediately turned off the key and the Ammeter went back to center.
Took the plastic shroud off the ignition switch / steering column and
pulled the plug off the ignition switch, turned the switch back and
forth several times, then plugged the connector back on. Turned the
key to Start and the same thing happened. So I crawled under the car
and looked for shorted wires around the starter solenoid. Needless to
say, in the Pep Boys parking lot on a hot summer day and no books and
very limited tools, I didn't get too far. Called AAA and had the car
towed home so I guess the next couple of days I'll be tracing out
this problem. Has anyone had a similar problem and can you give me
some suggestions of where to start my trouble shooting? I have
manuals, jack stands, DVM meter, tools, and am pretty handy with
electrical problems once I get started.

Happy 4th to everyone!!!
--
Dave Corbitt