Re: Dashboard electrical issue

To: Chuck Kyle <chuck@chuckkyle.com>
Subject: Re: Dashboard electrical issue
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 19:18:57 -0500
Chuck,

Good to hear that your gauges are now working.

As for the low beam problem it is usually the contacts on the high/low
beam switch. I think you will need to remove the steering wheel to get
to it. Before you do this, try checking the connections where the wires
come out of the turn signal switch, and at the headlight relay. Since
you had one corroded contact under your dash, there may be another one
near by.

The high beam contact is quite small and gets dirty easily. You might be
able to squirt contact cleaner in where the turn signal stalk goes into
the turn signal switch, then flip from high to low beam a bunch of
times. See if that will do the job. All that switch does is ground the
wire to the headlight relay.

If you need to remove the steering wheel be sure to either mark the
relationship between the steering shaft and the wheel, or make sure the
wheels are straight ahead when you pull the wheel so you can get the
steering wheel back on correctly.

--
-- Support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --