RE: Aftermarket Water Temp

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Aftermarket Water Temp
From: "lonestar" <lonestar@cmc.net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 07:08:58 -0700
When I bought my '67 1600, the only gauges that were original were
the speedo, tach and clock. A PO had replaced the rest with a variety
of aftermarket stuff, none of which seemed to be correctly matched to
sending units. I opted to replace them with VDOs. The water temp
gauge posed the biggest problem because of the sender.

I found an article online about Bob Sharp Racing and in it they
discussed the water temp sender. BSR solved the problem by splitting
the rad hose into 2 pieces, connected by a short piece of tubing with
rolled beads on each end. An adapter was welded into the side of the
tubing and the sender was threaded into it. I found a similar (if not
exact) adapter here:
http://www.egauges.com/vdo_acce.asp?Subgroup=Weld_In_Temperature-
Adapter

The downside to suspending the sender between 2 rubber hoses is you
lose the ground. I took some braided cable shielding and slipped the
lead wire through it, creating a single unit like unjacketed coax.
The shield provides the ground when attached to the tubing and the
frame. Maybe not the most elegant solution, but I won't have to
drill/tap anything.

Sorry to be so verbose.

-- lonestar