Synchro's

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Synchro's
From: "jm.rider@verizon.net (Jon and Maggie Rider)" <res1a278@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 16:18:44 -0700
Quick question to members of the list:

I'm currently examining the three 5 speed transmissions that I have to
determine which one looks the best for my son's school project.  My 1st
question is: is there an easy way of telling whether the 2nd gear synchro is
still in decent shape or not?

Also, what parts are the same on the syncros?  Are 1st thru 4th synchros the
same?  I've got one tranny that will probably end up being a parts tranny
and, if possible, I'd like to steal a 4th gear synchro and use it in 2nd
gear if it is determined to be bad.

Also, one of my tranny's is a borg warner tranny - is that a positive or
negative thing.

Finally, is there an easy way to tell if 5th gear has been slipping?

A rapid response would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jon Rider
Bothell WA
'69 2000  The Little Lady
'68 2000  The Senior Project

One unexpected benefit of building a roadster with your son (out of 3 that
were torn down).  You end up with a great mechanic when you need one!