Re: automatic transmission into a roadster?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: automatic transmission into a roadster?
From: Gary McCormick <gkmcc@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 11:17:38 -0700 (PDT)
--- michaelspreadbury@comcast.net wrote:

> John is correct, the 411 automatic transmission will bolt up to a
> Roadster engine, though where are you going to find a 411 these days?
>
> I did a late model automatic swap into a roadster and it required the
> front two legs of the "X" member to be removed and reworked to get
> the gearbox to fit. The transmission tunnel also needed to be widened
> on the passenger side to fit the box. I also had to add an automatic
> transmission fluid oil cooler, but that fit nicely in another portion
> of the "X" member.
>
> Lots of work, IMHO.

And begs the question -- Why? These are "sports cars" after  all -
where's the sport in letting a slushbox do the shifting for you, in
relegating a portion of your control over the car to pre-determined
shiftpoint decisions that were set by the manufacturer?

YMMV - but an automatic transmission doesn't fit in to my mental image
of a "sports car".

Gary McCormick
'0 2000 SRL311-13291
San Jose, CA