Re: gages

To: "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: gages
From: "Daryl Smith" <drlsmith@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:51:50 -0800
>From: "oliver" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>
>are there aftermarket gages made that will fit?  i'm thinking that the
>dashboard has to be
> redone/replaced anyway, so i'd have some leeway with size.

Classic Instruments has a nice set of electronic gauges that are close to
the roadster look.
http://www.classicinstruments.com/gaugeselector.aspx?ProductCode=HR01SLF&SeriesCode=HR

Add the clock and you have a complete set. Although you have to build a
spacer or weld up the dash to fit the clock as it is smaller than our
clocks.

The holes in the dash have to be opened up a touch for the speedo and tach,
took me about 15 minutes with a dremel.

They only have Electronic gauges, so you lose the tach and speedo cables.
Wiring up the new gauges is not hard.

Their speedo sending unit is easily adapted to our trannies using an old
cable end (get one from almost any japanese car at the wreckers). Pictures
available upon request.

Gas sending unit bolts right (need some self sealing 8-32 machine bolts) in
and change wiring connectors.

Temp and oil sensors are NPT thread where ours are not. I retapped for the
oil pressure sensor. For the temp sensor I didn't like the sensor right
beside the exhaust manifold on the 1600 head, so I drilled and tapped a new
mount at the front of the head. Used the stock wiring for the sensors.

Also went with a voltmeter instead of the ammeter.

Alvin has these gauges in his car, and Michael Spreadbury has installed
these in at least one of his conversions.

Any questions let me know, I'll do my best to answer.

Daryl
'66 1800cc R series stroker, 240SX 5 spd (diesel p/u bellhousing), Ford Edis
ignition, Electric Fan, Classic Instruments Gauges, 185/65/15 tires, '82
280ZX 15x6 wheels.....Soon to be EFI!