Re: Thank God for Datsun Roadsters

To: "Graeme" <graemes@internode.on.net>,
Subject: Re: Thank God for Datsun Roadsters
From: "Andy Cost" <andycost@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 08:43:07 -0600
I spent a couple of hours trying to get the driveshaft out of the BMW.  It
didn't want to slide together in the middle at the splined section.  I
finally jammed a wrench in the u-joint and pounded on it with a 10 lb
hammer.  It bent my wrench but did collapse the splined area.  As luck would
have it, the bent wrench worked perfectly on the starter bolt which is
impossible to remove without a special tool.

I plan to cut down the riser around the recirculating valve.  I am hoping
that the inside area of the supercharger will be enough of a plenum.  If
this doesn't work then I may install a second external blowoff valve and
then plumb it into the intake system after the MAF.  I also am looking at a
progarmmable fuel injection computer which may allow me to remove the MAF
and have a speed density system.  If that works then I can vent the blowoff
valve to the atmosphere and have the cool pfff sound.

The Eaton blowers from the Xterra were notorious for being loud.  The
factory made a change of some sort to quite them down.  A rash of loud
blowers showed up on EBAY shortly afterwards.  I can handle a little noise
in the racecar.

I've seen a few lower intake manifolds on EBAY but they are usually in a kit
with the supercharger.  I don't think the Frontier ever came with the
supercharger so it is popular to retrofit the Xterra system.

If the supercharger doesn't work then I may go with a turbo.  The KA24DE has
lots of turbo kits available unlike the U20.  That Eaton would go real nice
on a BMW 325e motor with the "is" head.

Andy