Re: Carb insulators

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carb insulators
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 13:49:14 -0600
> Paul (heyace)

> On the subject of Mikuni carbs...  I was looking under the hood  of my now 10K
> ago frame off resto(man it was dirty!) and I noticed the insulators to my
> solex's are starting to show signs of wear(cracking).  As I was looking at
> them I began to wonder why these have to be made of hard rubber.  This may be
> a stupid Question but...  Has anyone ever done anything different?  Why
> couldn't you make them out of say, billet alum?
> It seems like all they are, are adapters anyway?

They serve to insulate the carbs from heat transfer through the manifold and
from a certain amount of fuel of frothing and possible float level
inaccuracy due to vibration.

Can't remember which were harder/stiffer, but Volvo insulators were often
used as alternatives to the OEM factory pieces. I suspect that Pierce, APT
and others currently offer pieces that'll work.

FWIW,
Ron