Which rear-end to use

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Which rear-end to use
From: "Eric Hankinson" <eric@railpros.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:21:20 -0800
I have a Ford 8.8 from a Mustang.  I had it narrowed to fit the roadster and
am using the stock Ford drums, redrilled for 4x4.5" bolt pattern.  The gear
ratio is 3.27:1. and it is posi. Details are on the website.

Another good inexpensive option is to go to the junkyard and get a Ford
Explorer 8.8 rear end and have it narrowed.  You can buy one for less than
$50.  The gear ratio is 3.73:1, which is good for the engine swaps you
mention below, and it is posi.  The diffy is not centered, but when you
narrow the rear end to have it fitted for the Datsun, you can have it
centered (or nearly so anyway...)

Eric Hankinson
1969 2000
302 V8
www.unnfair.com

>>I bought a 64 to use the rear end on the restoration for the 63, so I am
wondering.  What rear-end would work for a high horsepower motor to replace
the
stock 1500 in the '64.  Does a Z car rear end fit, or do we do use  2000
rear
end?  I have heard of the 2L holding up for the SR 20 DET  swap.  Also,
anyone
know of a 2000 rear end around the Colorado area?

Gary Lasater  - Parker CO