Re: "Stop rust", viable concept, not this application

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "Stop rust", viable concept, not this application
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Fergus.OFarrell@ngc.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 05:48:53 -0800
I'll try and keep this brief.
This neutralize via negative charge method is used in very large,
precision machined metal parts that must be left bare (uncoated) due to
processing times, etc.  I have seen this done for large rocket joint
rings (Titan 4, 12+ feet diameter), but these are highly polished
surfaces.  I would think that our vehicle surfaces have too much surface
area (due to lower - rougher - level of finish) that this method would
be ineffective.   At the very least, the correct charge for one part
finish will be the wrong charge for others.
Iron is designated as Fe3+, so it is highly reactive with its
surroundings, creating rust. Applying a small negative charge makes the
surface more neutral, less reactive, greatly slowing corrosion.   The
sacrificial anodes on boats are not for salt-water corrosion, they are
to neutralize the large amount of static electricity created by the boat
surfaces moving thru the water.  They are needed at the dock because of
stray voltage from neighboring boats being grounded into the water, and
this can make the sacrificial anode (the 'zinc') erode at MUCH higher
rates.
So, others assessment of "theoretical gadget of the useless variety" is
correct.   Fergus O'Ferrous, glad we 'ironed' that one out! (yuk, yuk)