Re: Steering box replacement

To: Eric Hankinson <eric@railpros.com>
Subject: Re: Steering box replacement
From: Dan Heinze <dth104@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 09:07:39 -0800
Thanks for the various responsis on rack & pinion.

I couldn't find anything on the 311 site, but did find Eric Hankinson's
picture per attached email.

Questions for Eric:

Re the Flaming River racks...

1. Is the 45 inch Mustang II rack a good length or would the 41 inch
Cobra rack fit better?
2. Did you get a short or long pinion shaft?
3. The Mustang II rack is 4 turns to lock but the Cobra is 3 turns to
lock... how do you like the ratio on the Mustang rack?
4. The Mustang II rack has 5.25 inch travel but the Cobra is 6.25 inch
travel... does the Mustang rack give you enough travel?
5. Did you use the Flaming River mounts or did you fabricate your own?
If you did your own, would you post pics?
6. Did you have to make mods to the steering shaft? What did you use to
join the steering shaft to the pinion shaft?

Hope you don't mind all the questions. I'm guessing there will be others
who are interested too.

Thanks / Dan