Re: stopping rust

To: dscrib2@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: stopping rust
From: frankr@hwcn.org (Frank Roggeband)
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 22:43:36 -0500
Unfortunately there is no way to stop rust. You can only slow it down.
Something called entropy. That is the entire universe is slowly winding down
from a higher energy state to a lower energy state. Steel is made from
iron ore (rust) by applying heat (energy). Greatly simplified description.
Coming from a steel town in the rust belt I should really know a little
more about metallurgy;-) I do know that rust is a factory installed standard
feature, I have pictures, and will eventually install itself later through
neglect. Salt accelerates the process.

The best way to slow rust down is to wash your car frequently, keep all
body drain holes clear, fix any stone chips and paint damage as soon as
possible and wax your car to protect the finish. Undercoating and or oil
spray is also very helpfull. Once rust sets in the only way to fix it is to
mechanically remove or replace it and then seal it (paint it) to slow its
return.

I have seen these bolt-on gadgets on decaying hulks in the scrapyard. Very
funny! Sometimes you wish you had your camera for those shots that will never
appear in the sales brochure. Those devices were very popular around here
at one time.

--
Frank Roggeband   | 67.5 1600, 69 1600, 71 510, 75 710, 94 KingCab 4x4
Hamilton Ontario  | http://www.hwcn.org/~ae845/Profile.html