Redline and other tranny oils: MT-L Vs MT-90 Vs Dino Juice

To: ppeters914@comcast.net
Subject: Redline and other tranny oils: MT-L Vs MT-90 Vs Dino Juice
From: "Jim InVirginia" <nqrithfordatsun@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:41:24 -0400
Pete,
I originally used Red Line MT-90 in my roadster 5 spd, and it was wonderful,
and made worn synchros come back to life.  The problem is, it is much
thinner than 90W, even though it has the same lube properties.  My 5 speed
does not have the tolerence in the seals to keep the stuff inside the
tranny, and it leaked out, and some got on the clutch, and my my is it
wonderfully slippery.  Bottom line, eventually went to a new clutch and
reloaded with 80-90 W dino juice.

On a separate thread, my daughters recently acquired used Ford Focus ZETEC
5spd, year 2000 with 40K had a grunch going into third.  This tranny has
auto juice from the factory.  On the recomedation of the Red Line Help Line,
I reloaded with Red Line MT-L, which is a little lighter than MT-90.  It
made the grunch almost go away, unless you shift quite fast, and improved
shifter feel.  Ford, in its infinite wisdom, did not bother to even put a
drain plug in this tranny, but I was able to siphon out about 2.3 QTS, which
is what it is supposed to hold.  WOuld have much rather drained it out to
see if any debris came out, but such is life with modern cars.....

Hope this helps!
Jim
Chesapeake Va
65 Volvo P1800S (project)
67 pushrod 2L 5spd Roadster "SAKE RKT"
72 510 Sportwagon (project)
88 Jeep Commanche 167Kmiles cannot be killed
94 Dodge Grand Caravan (wanna buy it? 1K)
00 Ford Focus
02 PT Cruiser