This list is Awesome - a tribute to Keith Williams and all of

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: This list is Awesome - a tribute to Keith Williams and all of
From: Scott Occhiuto <calabria1922@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:11:12 -0700 (PDT)
All,

Since joining this list over two years ago, I have
been amazed and inspired by the knowledge, patience,
and generosity of those on the list.  Many of you have
helped me and hopefully, I have been able to pass on
to others, a little of what you have taught me.  This
is a timeout to thank all of you that helped me, and
most recently, Keith Williams.

Here is the story:

- I sent out a note to the list about a problem I had
with my 68 2000/SU during my first autocross
experience, fuel starvation coming out of hard
corners.

- Many of you replied which helped me to narrow it
down.

- Keith Williams suggested using the early "free
float" design.  He had a set but had never tried them
and offered to send them to me to test with the only
requirement that I let him know how they work, so he
could learn from the experience.

- Without any questions, he immediately mailed me a
set of new free floats, the required lids, and some
spare valves.

- Before I received the floats, I shared with Keith
some of the other problems I have had the last couple
of years with engine performance problems and
peculiarities.  I mentioned that I was not able to get
the a/f ratio on the rear carb lean enough and that it
always smells rich.  Keith suggested the nozzles could
be worn and immediately sent me a jet nozzle gauge.

- Keith's nozzle gauge showed wear of about 0.0005 to
0.0008.  He said that amount of wear can be noticeable
and recommended new nozzles from Z-Therapy.

- I also asked Keith about the "misting" of damper oil
on the damper caps, near the vent hole.  Keith said
there shouldn't be a vent hole and that I have the
wrong damper rods.  I borrowed some rods from a fellow
roadster owner (Thanks Mike Gleeson!) and found that
my old rods where dimensionally different (smaller
plunger, longer rod) as well with less damping.

- Since I was starting to question everything about my
carbs, I then asked Keith about damper spring
dimensions and spring rates.  He gave me the specs and
mine came out wrong.  He recommended I get new
springs.

- So, I ordered new nozzles, float bowl gaskets for
the new free floats, and a set of used damper rods and
damper springs from Z-Therapy.  Within days, I finally
had everything to get the carbs back together.  I put
in the new nozzles, damper springs, damper rods, and
floats.  I Fired it up and found a fuel leak at the
float bowl inputs.

- Another note to Keith.  By now I think Keith had
spent hours of time in writing e-mails and going to
the post office for me, and sending me parts!  Keith
mentioned that the aluminum washers get work hardened
after a while and won't seal and offered to send me
some of those as well.  He also asked what my fuels
screens looked like and offered to send a new set of
those too!

- I got the new washers and screens yesterday.  Put
them in, fired it up.  No leaks.  Did a rough a/f
adjustment and balance and headed out to warm it up.
Seemed to run better, but the big plus was that it
actually idled for the first time in 2-1/2 years!!!

- I brought the car back home and did a final a/f
setting and balance.  I had to finally bend the idle
tang on the rear carb to get it to idle on just that
carb.  Took it out again to check the fuel starvation
problem when cornering.  I had found a wide, entrance
ramp to I5 that was down hill and decreasing radius
that duplicated the problem twice before for me.

- No stalling at all, pulled hard all the way around
and out of the corner at full throttle.

FIXED!!!!!!

Keith I owe you for so much more than for the parts
you sent me.  You are a model for us all.

Thank you to all that have helped me!

Scott Occhiuto
68 2000 since 1976 - My first car
SUs, "B" cam