Re: Theft Protection

To: SlowBoy <slowboy@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Theft Protection
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 08:58:13 -0500
Most anyone who steals one of our cars is probably out for a joy ride.
In that case they don't want attention called to themselves.
When I get my67.5 back into the shop for a rebuild I plan on adding a
slow blow fuse in series with the coil power lead, and a switch to
bypass it. The value of the fuse would be such that it would allow the
car to start normally, and drive for about 30 seconds before power to
the ignition is cut. Now the thief is sitting in the middle of the road,
with traffic building behind him. It is my belief that he won't try to
figure out what the problem is, and just abandon the car.

As for what to do for the bypass switch, car thieves will be on the
lookout for anything that looks like a kill switch, so why not put it in
plain sight! I've seen quite a few older cars where the owner installed
a headphone jack under the dash. I plan on installing such a jack with
the plug that is inserted into to jack being the bypass for the fuse.
It's hard to find the switch when it is in your pocket, away from the car!

Peace,
Pat