Re: Winshield Stainless Trim Install

To: "Eric Hankinson" <eric@railpros.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Winshield Stainless Trim Install
From: "Mark Sedlack" <msedlack@neo.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 19:15:18 -0500
Eric,

Polishing stainless is not hard to do, but if you don't already have the
buffs, compounds, and rouge, buying them will cost a bit - may be a wash
with having someone do it.

I'm not exactly familiar with the late, high windshield trim, but if its
anything like the trim on the Z, the glass gets installed , then the trim
gets slipped into a channel.  However, if the rubber is too dry or
inflexible, it'll be impossible to install the trim without tearing the
rubber.  As you know, I do most things myself, but for the weather strip,
windshield glass, and trim install on our Z, I paid a glass guy $35 to do
it.  Money well spent since he does windshields every day.....has never
leaked and the it was perfect.  On the "R", I did it myself since it was a
cut and paste operation.

You might take the car to an auto glass shop, along with the trim, and ask
their opinion of the condition of the rubber re:  a sucessful install of the
trim.  They'd be the best qualified to judge.
Mark Sedlack
ZROC
Cuyahoga Falls OH
66 1600 http://www.mildevco.net/chevypowereddatsuns/