Re: Adjustable cam gear

To: "Steve Jones" <727gs@db3broadband.com>, <Datsun-Roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Adjustable cam gear
From: Stan Chernoff <az589@lafn.org>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 05:13:47 -0800
Hi Steve,

If that is one that was purchased from me, you will see that the ends of
the eccentric bushings are marked 0, 2, 4 and 6 with a metal stamp.  The
numbers represent the number of degrees that the cam gear is rotated
relative to the cam when the bushing is installed.  These bushings fit into
the original dowel screw hole in the cam.  The amount of eccentricity was
calculated based on the distance from the center of the cam to the center
of the dowel screw hole to get the marked angle.  If you are standing in
front of the car facing the engine the clockwise rotation of the cam gear
relative to the cam will retard valve timing ie the valves will open later
than the stock position.  You may find slight differences due to the
manufacturing tolerances of the timing components and if material was cut
from the cylinder head.

This is not like the ones that use the Mr. Gasket bushings designed for
Chevrolet and that require the installation of a dowel in the cam because
the one that I sold was designed specifically for the U-20.

Stan
=========