Re: Alloy Wheel rust removal

To: TWFAUST@aol.com
Subject: Re: Alloy Wheel rust removal
From: Marc&Heidi <mtyler@hctc.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 12:41:47 -0500
It sounds like you don't intend to keep the painted finish.  How'bout
bead blasting, then send them out for powder coating?  if you want a
polished aluminum look, get out the sandpaper and scotchbrite.  Some
folks advise staying away from steel wool and steel wire brushes on
aluminum to be  polished.  The thought is that little bits of steel
will lodge in the pores of the aluminum, causing rust spots later, but
I don't know if I buy this argument :-/

-Marc
On Oct 24, 2004, at 9:13 AM, TWFAUST@aol.com wrote:

> If it's rust on a painted finish, Have you considered a mild abrasive
> approach like polishing compound?  This should polish out rust spots
> etc, and remove oxidation from the paint.  they should come up looking
> new.  just a bit labor intensive around all those corners.
>
> -Marc
>
> I have thought of that, but think it will take a really harsh
> abrasive. I
> have considered a wire wheel. I think I will try a dremel tool on a
> small
> spot.

Marc Tyler Sisterdale TX
1970 1600 #SPL311-31016