altitude affect on SU Carbs

To: <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: altitude affect on SU Carbs
From: "Dave Stoll" <dgstoll@gwi.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:29:14 -0400
Does the altitude affect SU carbs?  The reason why I ask is that many years
ago I crossed the
country on a BMW motorcycle with CV (Bing) carbs.  The CV carbs seemed to
compensate
for the different air density.  The bike ran fine over the Rockies and Sierra
Nevada mountains.  We
easily went past the cars belching black smoke as they chugged up the
mountains.  I bought my roadster from someone in Colorado, had it shipped to
Maine at approx. 100ft above sea level and have never had to touch the carbs
in 45,000 miles of driving.  My thinking is that the vacuum operated pistons
in the SUs would also be self regulating to the air density.
daveS