RE: Starter no problem

To: <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Starter no problem
From: "Richard Hugi" <Richard@tntarch.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:04:03 -0700
Hey Ed,

I am going to put my gear redux starter on this weekend, do you have any
tips for wiring it? It didn't come with any info on electrical hook up, so I
just don't want to take the risk of damaging it or the fragile electrical in
my roadster.

Thanks

Richard
67.5
Santa Cruz Ca.

Hi Everyone,
Thanks again for all of your help, a newbie like me needs all the advise I
can get. I just got back from the first drive in 3 months, what a great
evening. There are still a few tweaks but she runs, drives, and seems to
have all systems go. The new tranny is shifting nicely and my clutch seems
good, a little grabby, but i still have some tweaks.

Here's the scoop...My fault. :-) I had made a serious error in wiring the
starter up. I don't doubt the bad grounds and low battery was going to be an
issue so i'm good to go there now also. The new gear reduction starter has
two posts and a spade terminal. I thought, I was copying off my old starter,
but mistakes were made. The new gear starter has two posts and a spade
terminal. I thought since one post help the Positive from the battery and
the wireing harness then the other must ground everything. (Thanks Pat for
showing me the error in my ways) After getting that straightened out it
fired on the first try.  Loud and strong, it's never fired on the first go.
The new coated header is about an inch shorter at the collector so until I
get the muffler shop to attach the flex pipe i'm just dumping out the side.
1600's sound pretty mean without a muffler. :-)

Have a great day

Ed