Purpose of ballast resistor (was "RE: WIRED")

To: "Datsun Roadsters list" <datsun-roadsters@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Purpose of ballast resistor (was "RE: WIRED")
From: "Pete Peters" <ppeters914@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:02:42 -0700
I got that info from 311s.org from a 9/18/04 post by JC:

"The 311 roadster uses a 12 volt system on everything thing except the
ignition ...go figure.

The use of the ballast resistor steps the input voltage from 12 to 6 volts,
for use of the 6 volt coil. You can simply remove the ballst resistor and
the short wire to the coil, and replace the 6 volt coil with a standard 12v
coil or a high output version coil. (40K volts will work most street
enginges nicely) Then just hook the old input (12v) wire from the ballast to
the coil + (and don't forget the 12v wire from the starting bypass as well )
Install a fresh set of points and 12v condensor.

If anyone is using a 12v coil with the ballst resistor still hooked up, you
maybe having issues with fouling and lack of performance"

Is JC mistaken?

Pete