RE: Exhaust Manifold Install

To: "roadster68" <roadster68@shaw.ca>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Exhaust Manifold Install
From: "Tom @ Datsun2000" <tom@datsun2000.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 19:41:48 -0700
Larry,

If I remember correctly I had to barely lift my engine an inch or so to
clear the stock manifold flange between the engine and the frame.

On the gasket sealer thing, unlike Gordon, my father taught me to almost
never use gasket sealer of any kind.  He did teach me to make sure mating
surfaces were clean, smooth, and straight, and to tie the gasket to one of
the parts with sewing thread (I always manage to use a color my wife wants)
in a few places to hold the gasket in place during assembly.  I have heard a
lot of concern from friends that I would be re-doing the work because I do
not use gasket sealer, but I have never had a gasket leak, probably because
I am careful to make sure things are properly prepared prior to assembly.

I only use gasket sealer on gaskets that are supplied with the sealing
compound and instructions about using the sealer are included with the
gasket.  I understand the newer sealers don't glue things together, which is
a large reason I don't use sealer if at all possible.  I hate removing glued
on gaskets from the mating surfaces.

See, Gordon is right, there are very different views on the subject, and
none are really wrong.  It just depends on how much risk you are willing to
take about doing the work over.  I once had a Chrysler mini-van that I spent
a couple of days working on just to change the water pump.  A day or so of
that was just getting to the water pump.  Did I use gasket sealer there??
YOU BET!!  I had to go buy some, but I wasn't willing to take that chance.

Tom
69 2000
68 1600