Re: High Volt/Low Volt Part 2 - quickie alt tests

To: solex675@hotmail.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: High Volt/Low Volt Part 2 - quickie alt tests
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 00:18:06 EDT
In a message dated 8/30/2004 8:52:36 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
solex675@hotmail.com writes:
Can the alternator be tested out of the car? I want to see if it is
OK before I hook everything back up.

I am also looking for the voltage regulator. Is is wired right in front of
the fuse box? Not being the most technical of people I am looking for a
little help here.
Tested out of the car... sure, but ya gotta run it to your local parts place
w/ a bench tester to spin it up.

Your voltage regulator is INSIDE the alternator on that GM one-wire.

Key to GM alt plugs :

internal reg plug looks like _ _

external (not used since early 70's)  | | (this should NOT be what you have !)

Coupla quickie tests you can do ON the car :

1. Is it charging ? No volt meter? Simple, w/ car running, touch a NON
Magnetic screwdriver to the bearing case in the middle of the back - if it
feels
"magnetic" its at least producing electricity.

2. WIth it running, put the V meter right on the  big post on the back -
should read 13.0 to 15.5 ish volts.

3. How to test the internal regulator:  you need to isolate it out of the
system by grounding it. if you look on the back, there is a D (no, not for
Datsun) shaped hole, about the size of a pencil eraser. The regulator is inside
the
case under that hole. You'll see a metal plate right under it - thats the reg.
Stuff the tip of the screwdriver in there - make sure to touch both the metal
plate, AND the alt case at the same time. Do this with the car running, and
take the same V. reading. It *should* jump up to 15-17 v.  - unregulated.  If
it doesnt', then the alt is prolly not putting out like it should.

Do a reg/unreg comparison to see if all is working well.

Of note: running this thing w/OUT the idiot light seems to burn up
alternators faster... you may want to consider the extra light deal... ( see
the
installing gm alt on Late cars write-up on 311s.org)  It seems everyone I know
of
that's done a conversion in one type of old car or another had ended up doing
this. They just seem "happier" that way.

Laurie :-)
'70-SPL311
AzROC
Chandler, AZ