Re: suggestions for installing seat covers

To: LarryAMiner@cs.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: suggestions for installing seat covers
From: Victor Laury <vlaury@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 14:26:55 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
>Larry Wrote - Anyone have any suggestions or good reading for installing new
>covers on my 68.

I've recovered 3 sets of seats so far, and my first suggestion is to make
yourself comfortable doing it. I set my self up in the living room in front of
the TV. Carefully remove the orignal set and take note of the piercing tabs and
the wire inserts.  be carefull while bending up the piercing tabs, you wouldn't
want to break them off. Try to recover all the wire inserts from the old
covers, if not, heavy coat hanger wire will suit. The foam was originally
covered with thin plastic sheeting. This was the "Lubricant" used so the cover
would slip onto the foam. I suggest you replace this with garbage bag plastic.
Do'nt follow my mistake. I thought baby powder would allow the cover to slip on
- I had baby powder coming out of the vent holes for months! This will take you
an hour per seat back. The hardest part (for me) was the head rest. Those
suckers were tight! It's really rewarding and hard to mess up! That is,
depending on how well made is the replacement covers. The ones I bought from
Les were dead-on exact as far as the positions of the wire pockets and such
details. Good thing hog-ring pliers are cheap. I bought mine and have used them
3 times in 8 years!