Datsun 1500 on Ebay - Previous Owner Found

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Datsun 1500 on Ebay - Previous Owner Found
From: "Dan Zubkoff" <datsun65@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:30:23 +0000
I recently listed my 1964 Datsun 1500 for sale on ebay (didn't reach
reserve)...

However, it was definately worth the effort of listing! A previous owner
from the 1970-80's contacted me with many details about the car. He said he
almost fell out of his chair when he saw his old roadster for sale. He had
some great stories which filled in many of the gaps about the history of the
car. For example:

Question:  The car currently has a nicely build R16 engine which replaced
the original G15..But..Why did he replace it?

Answer: "I was driving home from the beach one day and another Datsun
decided to race me. At close to 100mph I noticed the engine started running
rough and was smoking. I made it home and parked it in the garage. The next
morning I opened the hood and there was the rod laying on the fender well,
mangled and twisted and a nice big hole in the block where it had made it's
exit.

I still have a piston rod from the original engine!"

Question: Did you restore the car?

Answer:

"I attempted the bodywork on my own at first, but decided to leave it to the
professionals. (DZ: Had a top body shop in Reseda, CA restore the body) They
did a fantastic job on the exterior. My mom who did upholstery on the side,
stiched the interior....., I had the car in show quality. It was my pride
and joy in high school (the girls LOVED that vehicle...) My friends from the
football team thought it was hilarious to pick up the car and place it
between two trees next to the parking lot... "

"It was always hard to resist driving a little crazy with that "go-cart" as
my dad used to call it. I always had to chase down the hubcaps after power
sliding around a corner."

BTW: The Previous owner was also kind enough to send over a few photos of
the car from the 70's...How cool....Will post them soon.

Dan Zubkoff
San Mateo, CA