S14 Swap Complete/Shasta pics!!!!!!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: S14 Swap Complete/Shasta pics!!!!!!
From: "alvin gogineni" <alvingogi@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:11:47 +0000
http://community.webshots.com/user/alving05

It's been 2years since I was at Shasta....it's been over 2 years since I
drove my roadster! Sorry for the late update as I've been driving
everywhere, catching up. I'll try and make this brief but I'm so in love
with the car again. It's finally done(for now).

First I want to thank some folks that really helped me out along the way:
Raul Libunao, Francis and Angie Anand, Gerardo Magana, Travis Rowe, Michael
Spreadbury, Steve Allen, Dave and Phyllis Almazan, Bill and Carol Collins
and of course Dan and Rob at ZCarGarage.. They are truly my heroes, and
wizards too!

THE SWAP: Rob Fuller and Dan Gallmeister of ZCarGarage(formerly of Scott
Performance) took on the swap.
Engine bay/tech stuff: S14 SR20DE from Marco Vargas(SR20store.com), Variable
Valve Timing functional withJiiim Wolf Technology(JWT) ECU(modified S13),
Nissan CONSULT diagnostic plugin enabled, hidden ECU/wiring, JWT Lighweight
aluminum flywheel, JWT Heavy duty clutch with T/0 bearing, Custom fabbed
intake piping to front of the radiator, Custom C&R racing radiator(mounts in
same exact location as U20 rad!!) with SPAL electric fan, GM tranny mount,
Ceramic coated header and stock heat shield, B&M short
shifter,shortened/balanced 1600 driveshaft, stock 3:9 rear end, heater fully
functional, hidden catch can/ooga horn, custom throttle linkage and pedal,
all Nissan fuel lines. 280zx fuel pump w/modifed tank. Gauges
operational(waiting for new speedo), NISMO shift knob, Powdercoated valve
cover, intake manifold, hood prop, roll bar. More that I forgot, but will
have a build sheet at Shasta!
The car weighed 2120lbs(you've seen the pics) andnow it weighs 2006lbs with
the SR!!!!!!!Technology is fantastic!

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS: I remember thinking, "They had this much power in '67?"
when I drove my roadster w/U20 and SUs 2 years ago. I also drove a Solex car
and thought that was fast. Anyways, I picked up the car Thursday July 8 at
8pm. Rob and Dan "unveiled" the car for me. First thing I noticed was that
it sat exactly the same way, I thought the front end would be higher b/c of
less weight, but NO! it still looked sick! You can even see the intake/K&N
filter through tthe grille!They open the hood and I was stunned at the
engine. It blew my mind. Exceeded my expectations, but how did it move? Rob
told me to get in and start it. It was weird. I usually pull the choke/pump
the pedal for cold starts. I just turned the ignition and it fired up, idled
right away. Plus it sounded burly!!
He drove me around first. That sound was amazing. Idle is barely noticeable,
but it just rips on throttle....so much for missing carb induction noises
While Rob was driving I was in complete awe of the car's performance....I
couldn't believe it was my car accelerating so fast. it makes power and
doesn't stop until redline, 7500rpm. Just unreal compared to what it was
with the U20. And the a smoothness...sweet Lord it was solid, quick and just
super tight.
Then I tried driving....remember the JWT heavy duty clutch...it is the
burliest cutch I've ever pushed with my calf muscle! It seriously cramped up
at the end of the drive. I then reached for the shifter, a NISMO TT Z knob
that felt just right. The B&M short shifter makes shifting a joy. It has no
play in gear whatsoever. You literally "click" off shifts, again I'm so not
used to it but I continue to drive.The alum flywheel is a shock. It just
revs so easily, and it decelerates in gear quickly too. I get scared as the
tach passes 5rpm, but Rob puts my foot down on the gas...wheeeeee!!! I find
myself downshifting/matching revs just for the sound. This thing needs
brakes. The Volvos fade after 7-8 repeated 70mph stops. Maybe I'll try new
pads..maybe I'll spring for SPRISO's Z32 TT caliper/rotor setup..then it's
15: Panasprts for sure God I'm enthralled at end of the drive and back to
the garage. I have a perma-smile on my face. Everything it good.
Drive it home and take Clark for a spin and he loves the sound. Too excited
so I drive it to work on Friday.
It has totally exceed my expectations in every way imaginable.

SHASTA SHOW/TRIP:
Clark and I left for Shasta at 4:15am Saturday morning. The ride thorugh
Siskiyou was amazing. The speedo isn't working but the electronic signs that
say" 60mph curve ahead, your speed is" came in handy! I got 81mph on one,
which=4000rpm. Later I figured 3000rpm=60mph, 3250=65mph, 3500=70mph,
3750=75mph. Cruised about 70-75mph the whole way. Man I love the new tach,
it looks so much closer to the orignal gauges than anything I've ever seen!
With a full tank in San Jose, we made it all the way to Shasta Dam to fill
up! So we arrive in Shasta at about 8:45am, but we can't find the park! And
what's even worse is that a family in a Ford Explorer tried following us to
the show. I was so embarrased...and then we run into Gerardo and Chris and
Phyllis!! Got my registration and off to the show.
At every show I've been too I'm usually taking pics of all the other cars,
but this time I was by my car answering questions and talking to people! It
was a first. Saw Francis and family, Travis, Joe and Kate, Fred Katz, Abzal,
Jason Brainard annd his tight SR20-2000, Spreadbury, Greg Burrows, Gordon
Glasgow, Alexi Repoff, Dave Almazan, Herb Petty, Buzz, Sean Kirk, so many
people. The cars get better every year is so true. Then it came time for a
run to the hill. Craig Hooper announed that al the "fast people" go with
him. So I drive up behind him. They don't call it BAD2000 for nothing. It's
a fast mofo. While I'm pursuit I notice the temp increasing, it goes past
190 to 200, but never goes beyond! Arrive at the vista point and
everything's still tight! Took some nice pics too. Check out the vid of me
chasing Hooper(or me getting worked by Hooper)
here:http://rabbit.circa.ufl.edu/gallery/alvin
Clark and I had to get back that night, so we missed the dinner, which I
regret as I found out from Francis the following Sunday that we won 2nd
place!! Not too shabby.
The ride home was also a pleasure. Clark kept saying "so that again!"
referring the 5-4 downshift and resulting time warp!
Kill list so far:
Integra GS-R with intake/exhaust
'99 Civic Si(looked stock)
impressed an s2000 but he pulled away with a thumbs up!
I know the roadster is much faster than my SVT Focus, it's just incredible!
Dyno and cams are next! I want push 200hp!
Finally, Clark and I stopped by Thunderhill on the way back. Races had just
finished, so people were in the paddocks relaxing. We just cruised around
and not one person could ignore the Datsun, thumbs up, cheers and a group
flaged us down...."Hey that sounds too smooth to be stock!" I opened the
hood and it was an instant conversation piece. Check out the pics.
Got home at 10:45pm. The roadster has a thick coat of dragonflies and
locusts from that darn 505 at night....and that's my only complaint.
Up next....a full update from Track day at Thunderhilll and the All-Datsun
meet!

Alvin Gogineni
San Jose, CA
67.5 SPL/SR20